Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Does anyone go to art shows anymore???

If you keep up with this blog, you know that I was at the Charlestown Arts in the Park this past Saturday selling my wares and pitching my art along with about 30 other artistsans. And we all had the same question: Does anyone go to these art shows anymore???? The weather was beautiful, it was a Saturday in Boston. I think I saw at least 30 Duck Boats drive by throughout the day. Don't get me wrong, there were some people there and from those people I received a great interest in my work. And I'm not complaining... I'm just confused. Is it the economy? Is it the Internet with sites like Etsy, Zazzle and Ebay that makes it just easier to shop online? When I spent some time in Montana we were fortunate to come across the Sweet Pea festival in Bozeman. That was pretty packed. Maybe it's that there are so many around here (I know that the Boston Waterfront was having an arts fest the same day) that it doesn't seem so special. But then I went to the Allston Street Fair on Sunday afternoon and granted, there wasn't a lot of art and the stuff was there well, lets just say not the same caliber as mine (can I say that? yes, it's my blog) but there were plenty o' people there. I just don't know. Can you please comment on this blog and let me know your thoughts. I would love to hear from you.

Fortunately, I brought my sketch book with me and across from my booth was a couple of park benches. When someone sat down, I donned my sunglasses (so they wouldn't see me STARING at them haha) and sketched away.







Those that moved to fast or got up as soon as they sat down, turned more into doodles but there's nothing wrong with that either.
I'm currently working on a commission for a woman who is a returning customer. Her friend's dog, Glover, recently crossed the rainbow bridge and she's getting a pet portrait of him. He was such a chunky dog, but so cute! She said that he loved his fluffy chew toys and would always greet you with one in his mouth, so I kept one in the portrait. (it'll be between his front legs, still white paper here)....

Glover
Phase 1



1 comment:

adozeneggs said...

Hey C,
You should check out some of the fairs/festivals in VT. We went to the Peru Fair a couple of weeks ago and it was super busy. I think it's the combination of art/music/food that might attract the larger crowds. Plus, I think you'd do really well there as there were no other "pet portaitists" (don't know if that's word)