Friday, September 10, 2010

A Somber Moment

I love the fall. I used to not so much because it was a time about going back to school (which I hated primarily because I HATE getting up in the morning). But now, for me it's a lot about reflection and the upcoming year. It's the whole school mind set, new school year... etc. I still dislike getting up before I'm ready but I'm realizing more and more that these days are numbered and we have to make the best of what we have.....

Two years ago today, my friend and coworker George died of a heart attack. I remember driving to work and it was 9/11/09 and on my way I pass an elementary school and all the kids were outside standing under a flag at half mast honoring those who died in the 9/11 attacks. I remember thinking that those kids weren't even born when it happened. It really depressed the hell out of me. And then about 20 minutes later I got the call about George. ....

Yesterday, I found out that my mom's cousin received a call on Sunday afternoon. They had found her husband on the side of the road (he had been on his daily bike ride) and was not breathing and they didn't know how long he had been there. They airlifted him to Dartmouth Hospital and there they kept him alive on machines. When they had spoken to the neurologist he said that J would not be able to breath with out machines and had pretty severe brain damage. His family decided to end his life.



Why am I telling all this? Maybe it's to make myself realize over and over again that this life we live is brief and fleeting. One second and it could change for the worse (or better!). You only have one and you better make it worth it.
*side note: J & I have been watching 6 Feet Under via Netflix. Great great series, but death is the constant underlying theme.
















No comments: