Monday, October 4, 2010

Allston Rock City

So Friday I got the news that long time local club Harpers Ferry is closing it's doors after 40 years of bringing live music to Allston. You don't know how much this breaks my heart. I love going to see live music and I love the fact that I had at least 3 clubs within walking distance to my condo. Harpers was one of them. Some think that the local music scene is dead or dying and I'm here to tell you it's NOT. In fact, people have poo-pooing the local music scene for years. I say: Pish Posh! YOU are the local music scene. The bands are there, and they are playing. It's YOU who needs to show your support by going out!! I've actually talked with musicians about it. The scene is this: Bands play, you go out and watch them. You have a couple of beers while your there and support the establishment that is hosting the show. You might like the band, you might not. But how would you ever know? Hell, the band could suck donkey but the bass player is hot and you just may have a lovely time watching him. You might be the oldest one there (who cares?) you might be the only girl there (Hey - shorter line for the ladies room!) but you got to get out there. There's so many places to see music. Make some plans this Columbus day weekend and get out there! SUPPORT THE ARTS!
So this is what I did this past weekend:


Black Thai

I went to O'Brien's on Saturday night to check out Black Thai and Gozu. I had only heard good things about these 2 bands. Above is a picture of Black Thai that I took off their website. The only name I know is Jim Healy (far left) and have seen his solo stuff http://thepedigreeartist.blogspot.com/2010/04/hey-i-like-what-i-like-everything-else.html

and his other project We're All Gonna Die and am a fan. I was happy to see this band too. They we're really good. The only thing I didn't like is that I really couldn't hear Jim's singing voice and it's really worth taking a listen to! http://www.blackthaiband.com/

Gozu

Gozu found me on Twitter and became a follower. I then checked out their stuff and it is Bad Ass! I now follow them and was ecstatic to see them down at OB's. It's hard, funky, and a whole lot of guitar! Love love love this band. If you like Queens of the Stone Age, Black Sabbath or anything that's Groove Metal, you will love these guys. http://www.myspace.com/gozu666

Okay - back to the art. Christmas is coming and I've already started getting commissions for the holidays! Good sign! I was also able to get in some painting for my own portfolio AND dropped of my application for the Allston Open Studios. There's also going to be an art show at the Honan Allston Library and plan to show works there as well. New England Arts for Animals is having another members show down at the Fernwood Gallery in Norwood come this November and of course the JP First Church Christmas Art Show will be happening the first weekend of December. After that - a painting maniac I will be. Oh - and I still have NEAFA 2011 calendars for all those who are interested. I will be selling these for $10 a piece. Can I say it again? SUPPORT THE ARTS!!

Onyx

5"x7" watercolor and colored pencil


2 comments:

adozeneggs said...

So, where can I get one of those calendars??

adozeneggs said...

Oh, and BTW I had to edit your comment about "Karsten"! I totes agree, that is a tragic name, but the clients look at the blog to see their cookies!!!